West San Jose - Campbell Lions Club celebrates a Legacy - 50 years of Community Service! May 1952, fifty years ago, a small group of businessmen, led by Enoch A. Davis Jr., established the Hester Lions Club in San Jose to do community work. In 1998, a recently retired military woman was inducted into West San Jose-Campbell Lions Club. Little did she know that the Lions Club she joined was the same club her father established in 1952.
Back in 1953, the Lions in the area established the Santa Clara Valley Blind Center. In 1991, the organization assumed its present name of Lions Silicon Valley Center for the Blind & Sight Impaired. The center is open to all people who are sight impaired. Some clients were born blind; others become blind after having an accident, acquiring a disease such as retinitis pigmentosis, macular degeneration or diabetic retinopathy. The center trains its clients in new skills such as using a cane, walking to the bus stop, getting in a car, reading Braille, weaving baskets and even performing everyday activities such as eating and doing laundry.
Not only does the West San Jose-Campbell Lions' Club work with the visually impaired in the local area, one of its most recent projects involves donating used eyeglasses to other countries.
In addition, West San Jose-Campbell Lions Club founded two organizations, Books Aloud, which supplies books on tape for those with visual impairments, and Lions' Free Cell Phones for Emergency Use. West San Jose-Campbell Lions participate in Books Aloud volunteering to record book readings. Lions' Free Cell Phones for Emergency Use is a program in which Lions Club members give free cell phones to use in the case of an emergency. The phones are programmed to dial only 911. "We have given away thousands of cell phones. This year our club alone donated 1,500.
Member Since: 2011