Recovery Café San Jose (RCSJ) provides support and resources to men and women traumatized by homelessness, addiction, and mental illness. Located in the heart of downtown San Jose, our members come to RCSJ for meals, support, workshops, and friendship.
Café Membership Benefits:
- Hot meals four days each week (expanding to 5 days)
- Weekly Recovery Circles
- Classes to learn job and life skills
- Group activities to build social skills and inner strength
- Connections to resources and partner agencies (housing, employment, health)
- Relapse prevention & breaking free from addiction to drugs and alcohol
Membership is free and open to all, but there are a few requirements:
- Be clean and sober for 24 hours before entering the Cafe
- Attend one weekly Recovery Circle
- Give back through Cafe chores (cleaning, serving meals, etc.)
Based on the successful model of the original Recovery Cafe in Seattle, we have been providing services since April 2014. Recovery Cafe Seattle has granted us access to their program materials and has given training and support to our team at no cost.
Since opening our doors in April 2014, we have reached over 95 active members who attend each week, and served over 400 people in all. In our first year we served over 4,500 meals and an unfathomable amount of coffee. Our pool of dedicated volunteers has grown to over 30, logging over 4,000 hours.
Many of our members have found housing and employment through their connection with the Café. Some have received vital assistance with their health care. For others it has enabled them to achieve even greater goals: recently a member told us how she had just regained custody of her children as a result of her hard won sobriety. All are supported in their quest for greater self-sufficiency.
Member Since: 2015